Wednesday 24 September 2014

September 25th.


This is a picture of the most beautiful and wonderful woman in the World.

It is a picture of my mum.

It was taken on the day that she took her first driving lesson with her dad. If you look closely at the bottom of the frame, you can see the top of “Dinkum’s” head. Dinkum was her pet poodle.

My mum went on to become a nurse and then a primary school teacher. Through the years she inspired countless children. She continues to inspire me to this day.

Today my mum is as intelligent and as sharp witted as she ever was. But around 14 years ago she was diagnosed with Cerebellar Ataxia Scar 6.

Wikipedia notes that sufferers display symptoms including inability to coordinate balance, gait, extremity and eye movements. Amongst other things my mum cannot walk unaided and finds it frustrating that her condition makes it difficult to effectively communicate verbally at times.

Although she – and my family – have adapted to the condition and invested in tools and equipment to make my mums life as independent as possible, I know that she remains frustrated and finds the condition debilitating. My father acts as her carer. My mum is rarely alone.

There are many things that my mum will never be able to do again on her own such as walking through the countryside, driving to meet friends for lunch or baking a cake.

My mum used to make the most wonderful cakes.

As you can imagine, the condition proves a strain on her and the rest of my family. Both my mum and dad had great plans for their retirement. Many of their personal and shared dreams will remain unfulfilled.

To date, research into the condition - although making great strides forward – has failed to find either a cure or an effective treatment to counter or delay the symptoms.

Why am I writing about this?

25th September is International Ataxia Awareness Day.


Please see the attached link:




I never expect people to donate money. We all have our own preferred charities and limits to how much we can donate, so I respect everyone’s choices. But a recent UK Government Poll showed that only 9% of adults know what Ataxia is. Education and awareness are as key as fund raising.

So, please can I ask you to spare a few moments and use your social media profiles to highlight the “event” by reposting the link to Ataxia UK through Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, StumbleUpon… Anything and everything?



Right.

My mum will kill me when she reads this.

Then she will kill me again because I included the photo.


But after all that it won’t matter because I will still love her as much as I ever have and ever will.

No comments:

Post a Comment