Saturday 4 October 2014

A Saudi Fridge of Friendship

It’s hard to know where to start.

Two and a half weeks in and so much has happened.

Work started slowly.

I was warned that it would and it didn't disappoint. The first few days dragged along slowly. Not much to do. Shown the ropes by Stuart. Reports and people. People and reports. In truth, it was less than four hours a day. It allowed me to head home, relax, join the gym and plenty opportunity to explore.

Then it all went weird.

The joy of working for a Saudi division of a British company is that we rely on social media to keep communication costs down.

As the result of a Whatsapp message, I found myself over in Dubai for two days working in a cage thirty feet off the ground.

I told my fellow cage occupant that the last time I earned money in a cage this high it was sometime in the mid ‘90’s at the Hammersmith Palais; I was dancing, dressed in leather shorts and covered in baby oil. Thankfully, his English was quite poor. I don’t think he understood.

After Dubai, I endured a nine hour round trip for a two hour meeting in Riyadh. The journey is on a bleak highway through the desert. The desert is not romantic. It is big and expansive. It is yellow, brown and grey. It is hot and unforgiving. The edge of Riyadh – where I meet – is grim and soulless and devoid of hope.

Wednesday, I encountered the frustration of Saudi working for the first time. Everything is conducted at Saudi pace and on Saudi terms. Best laid plans are worthless, as are – it appears - commitments. A lesson was learned. The fact that my “old time” colleagues just laughed helped me realise that some things will forever be the way they are and that it will never change. Some things I will have to learn to just “get over”.

For a few minutes, I felt alone and a very long way from home. I considered checking out flight times and calling it a day… (see the note & picture below)

Finally, pulled off a crazy twelve hour shift on Thursday sorting staff and travel logistics for a job that wasn't expected to start before Eid holidays but needed to get sorted for a Sunday start in areas where my company have no resource – out on the borders of Yemen to the south and Jordan to the north. No mean feat when everything closes on a Friday and Saturday. But it all pulled together sometime before 8pm. Tired but fulfilled!

But – aside a hop to Bahrain and a few emails and calls – I doubt I will have to work more than three hours a day next week. Eid means that my team have holidays and the office is closed. I will work from home. So I can’t complain.

But that is work. 

I'm here for the adventure… 



So tune in next time.
Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel...

Note – I wouldn't have gone through with coming home. The desire was real but fleeting. I knew I would have moments where I was unhappy and insecure. It is only natural. But I was prepared. A great guide book that Paul Rose gave me emphasised the importance of bringing photos from home. I have a series of landscapes and some “godlike hero” images but the most important are those of my friends. 

Gushy as it may sound, they are really important to me… And they helped.

Check out my “Saudi Fridge of Friendship”




Beautiful, huh? 

Fridge magnets!

Some of you dear readers will recognise your faces, torso's or knees. Those missing, rest assured that I show no favouritism; your time for inclusion will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment